Monday, June 9, 2014

OUR DAUGHTERS, Part 5: Unconditional Love

 I've known only two great loves in my life. Loves that have no comparison and fill me with awe and wonder by the very thought of them--my Lord, Jesus Christ and my mother!  They are not unlike each other in my mind.  One gave me life and the Other gave His life for me!  This by no means lessens the love of my husband, family, or friends.  In fact they make that love possible and is what I draw on when times get tough and disappointments rock my world! 

On the other hand, there is no heartache, like the one that comes when a mother is alienated from her child.  I think it's particularly painful between those of the same sex (mothers and daughters, fathers and sons).  It is in God's eyes quite an anomaly.  Think about the relationship so profoundly portrayed in the Gospels between God and His Son, Christ. (Matt. 3:17; 12:18)

Jesus was the delight of His Father and totally pleasing in His sight.  And did not Christ in turn bestow the title of sons and daughters upon us, His children birthed by the Spirit?  It's truly astounding once you consider all the times we turned our backs on Him and chased the idols of our hearts for pleasure!  Yet, there was enough love left in the relationship to heal all wounds, restore, and even strengthen these bonds (Romans 5:8; 8:16-17).

As this is the last post in my series on daughters, let me remind you, that our children are not our possessions. They owe us nothing but a debt of love (Rom. 13:8).  They are not our benefactors neither or we theirs once they become adults.  How well they handle adult responsibilities fall on our shoulders and we must repent!

We may have erred by choice, keeping them in perpetual childhood to fulfill our own emotional needs or in pure ignorance; but the fact remains, they are gifts of the Lord (Psalms 127:3).  We are stewards, to train and nurture them into holy, productive images of God (Prov. 22:6).  Paul commended Timothy, a great servant of the Lord for his faith, but he acknowledges that the seeds of this faith was planted first by his grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice (2 Tim. 1:5). You wield great spiritual power in your daughter's life!

This stewardship does not come without occasional pain but it definitely cannot bring glory to God without unconditional love!  

1. A love that is long suffering
2. A love that is not prideful
3. A love that doesn't insist on being right (ouch!)
4. A love that is not happy with wrong doing
5. A love that is joyful when holiness prevails
6. A love that believes the best in every one
7.  A love that endures no matter what

Paul described it in I Corinthians 13.  Jesus demonstrated it on the cross.  So when the wounds of love come too often and cuts too deep, remember the picture at the top of this blog.  Apply Unconditional Love as often as needed!  CHRIST DOES!  

No comments:

Post a Comment