Monday, January 19, 2015

WHEN GOD DISAPPOINTS!


A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. (Isaiah 42:3).

"My husband and I make over six figures a year, but we can't make one baby even with the latest medical interventions, yet this single welfare mother has seven and struggles to take care of them all.  So much for being fruitful and multiplying!

"Cancer took my mother and two of my siblings now doctors tell me that I've probably got a year at most to live with my own diagnosis.  I'm a good Christian woman, with a thriving ministry....why me?"

" I don't deserve this...I stuck with him through job layoffs, financial bankruptcy, and helped him get his degree.  Now that we're back on our feet, he's leaving me and our kids for another woman!  All that marriage counseling and fasting was a waste! "

Let's face it life is not fair! And whether you accept it or not, bad things actually do happen to good people!  The human response, even for those of us who know the Lord and His Word is to blame God!  After all He's Omnipotent (all powerful) and Sovereign (rules every thing)!  Surely, He can prevent some of this mess going on the world today!

Anger at God  is not something that's easy for a Christian to admit!  Somehow it makes you feel less spiritual doesn't it?  Even to think it, conjures up the proverbial lightning bolts striking us down from the heavens!  But if we're honest we know that just like in any other relationship, anger is an emotion that comes into play from time to time.  It's okay be angry....God can take it!  But it might help to know just What and Who you are angry with!

Christian counselor, June Hunt (Hope for the Heart), reminds us that there are four reasons we get angry:  Hurt, Injustice, Fear, and Frustration.  As  humans we've experienced them all and you don't get a pass, just because you're a Christian!  Jesus says in John 16:33, "In this world you will have tribulation (trials, pain, problems, distress) but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world." Your dual citizenship, being a part of this world and the Kingdom of God brings both heartache and blessings! We become angry when we are called to endure the injustices of this world as we travel through to the next! 

In our lack of spiritual wisdom we blame God! In this we are just like our fore parents Adam and Eve (Gen. 3:8-13).  We forget that we are living in a fallen world!  Disease, divorce, violence, and injustice was never God's original plan for His children...we opened that door ourselves and  live each day with the aftermath.  If you want to be mad, be mad at Adam and Eve!

Still we cling to the promise of John 16:33....Christ has overcome the world...He has made living in this world bearable (I Cor. 10:13):  Through His Word, His Spirit, the Prayers and support of others we can deal with disappointments.

Take a moment to click on this excellent article by Dr. Charles Stanley:  http://www.intouch.org/magazine/content.aspx?topic=Dealing_with_Disappointment_devotional#.VL0NoVq4n78

Too lazy?  Here's a brief recap: Disappointments are allowed to teach us, to stretch us and to grow us in our faith.  The next time you experience disappointment do the following:

--Resist the urge to become bitter
--Ask the Lord how you should respond
--Follow His directions
--Keep your focus on God and His higher purpose

"UNTIL NEXT TIME!









4 comments:

  1. This comes at the perfect time in my life. Thank you, you are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Cuz, keep holding on...things may not get better, but we we sure can!
    CB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sis Betts I like this blog, I know I could be mad or angry of the my life was or is but I thank God everyday for allowing me to have hurts and pain it only draw me closer to him... I am back. I missed this! Love you CB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Back Carter!!! or is that Welcome Back Kotter (the old TV show)...Anyway glad you liked it...anger is a temporary emotion...God's Grace is forever and He has plenty of it!

    ReplyDelete