I could find no better way to end this series on unnamed women in the bible who were also mothers, than with this one--The Proverbs 31 Woman! But not the one you're thinking of--the one that inspired her!!
Whether you are a concerned, grieving, vigilant or self-sacrificing mother there's one thing that you've got to have--and that's wisdom! I know no parent who doesn't want the respect and ear of their child when giving advice. Especially as it concerns life experiences and the inherent dangers that can follow them for the rest of their lives.
That's the kind of rapport the Proverbs 31 Woman, the mother of King Lemuel had with her son whom some believe may have been the famed King Solomon. If that is the case than the woman speaking would be Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11:1-27; 12:1-24; 28-31). Regardless, there's no denying that this mother knew what she was talking about.
In the last 31 verses of the 31st chapter of Proverbs we find this mother giving counsel to her son, a young prince, coming into his own, shortly taking the throne of a mighty kingdom. She gives him advice about women from a Mother's Perspective. And just let me say, modern day moms would do well to do the same for our sons and daughters even today!
Say on, Wise Mother....what would you have us to tell our sons? (In modern day language):
1. Be careful of the women you hook up with, because some have destroyed kings! (31:2-3)
2. Don't spend your time partying (drinking, drugging, etc.) or you will soon forget your personal and work responsibilities! (31:4-7)
3. Speak up for the defenseless, the poor and the needy. Be socially responsible! (31:8-9)
4. Marry a woman with good character rather than a pretty face! (31:10-30)**Note that she uses 20 verses to emphasize this single point.
5. When you find such a woman, praise her and appreciate her! (31:30-31)
IN SUMMARY - In giving counsel to your children a Wise Mother needs to know When to speak, How to speak, and When to Shut up! In addition to be a proper influence you should - Keep your advice short, Your lives upright, and Your hearts continually open!!!
UNTIL NEXT TIME...
If you would like to leave a comment please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR scroll to the bottom of my blog page at http://alittlewiser63.blogspot.com click on the no comments by the pencil and it will change to a writing space.