Monday, March 26, 2018

BIG Inspiration from SMALL Packages!!!

It is like a mustard seed...
though it is smaller than all
the seeds...grows up and
becomes greater than all herbs..
(Mark 4:31-32)
We've had an unusual entry into Spring!  Two snow falls in one week (one breaking records at nine inches) and all within days of the official First Day of Spring posted on calendars.

Even so, I'm in a Spring Time State of Mind!  Like many of you, I look forward to more pleasant weather and the beauty of new blossoms God promises.   But if you just can't wait, let me share something that might jump start you into the light and hope this season brings.

Two things have weighed on my mind as we transition from winter. First, I wanted to recognize the achievements of women before leaving the month of March, Women's History Month and second, I wanted to help prepare hearts for Resurrection Sunday, coming up in just a very few days!  Thankfully, I found appropriate and timely inspiration for both this past weekend!

Nationally, on March 24th, men, women, boys, and girls of all colors were making history.  They were participating in March For Our Lives, a protest against increasing gun violence in America and a plea for gun control. Its epicenter was our nation's capitol, Washington, D.C. but other marches were held simultaneously all over the U.S. with a few countries abroad. I've been on a 40 day television fast but my smart phone prompted me to this important news flash.  When I read the promo for  11year old Naomi Wadler's speech at the March, I just had to give it a listen (click on the link below).

March For Our Lives Naomi Wadler Speech

This eloquently spoken, Nubian princess, articulated her concern for the safety of her generation in a way that grabbed not only media attention, but people everywhere affected emotionally or personally by gun violence. It showed the core of youth activism that became the catalyst for the Civil Rights Movement, The Voting Rights Acts, and the Anti-War Protests of our time. How appropriate that Martin Luther King, Jr.'s granddaughter, 9 year old Yolanda Renee King also spoke.  Her dream?  Enough is enough, this should be a gun-free world!  BE STILL MY HEART!  Each of these little girls made me proud to be a woman and an American!

On a much smaller stage (no pun intended), was a brief interview I did with a dynamic Christian Sister from my church, Amber Smith.  I invited her to be my guest at a teachers/leaders training on Personalization (Be Personal). It was designed to help Church folks get accustomed to loving, ministering to, and serving with people who do not look like ourselves.  These exceptional human beings (I prefer that word over special needs) are often ignored and treated as if they have no place in the body of Christ!

Amber, is a woman of short-stature. Other politically correct terms would be Little person, dwarf, or LP.  The word midget is highly offensive.  She has a form of dwarfism called hypochondroplasia. But Amber will tell you as she told us, no labels are really needed.  Simply refer to her as: A beautiful black little woman!  She is the mother of two girls (one short stature), and has a testimony of trials, wounds, and challenges in life that would humble the majority of us!

Her childhood was traumatic. She was bullied as both a child and an adult and suffered the heartbreak of personal and family relationships. She continues to be the victim of rude and insensitive remarks, yet Amber is overcoming it all!  She is tiny and shy but finding her way out of her shell to tell a story we all need to hear!  Her love for Christ and testimony of faith along with the affirmation of her children (they think she's the bomb) was the highlight of the day!

Musing over these ladies, I begin to think afresh about the call of the Prophet Jeremiah:


"I knew you before I formed you in the womb; 

I set you apart for me before you were born; I appointed you to be a prophet to the nations." (Jeremiah 1:5)

I came to this conclusion:

God makes no mistakes!! (Ps. 145:17)  He knew exactly what He was doing when He created you (Ephes. 2:10).  Stop complaining about not meeting the expectations or models of this world or even those we impose upon ourselves (Isaiah 45:9).  The potential for greatness is in us all (Psalms 139: 14-16).  God has a marvelous plan for everything we go through.  We must remain faithful (Jeremiah 29:11).

As we approach RESURRECTION SUNDAY, Celebrate with Joy!

There IS still HOPE and INSPIRATION in this world.  Look for it no matter how SMALL it may be.   When you find it APPRECIATE IT .... FOR IT JUST MAY BE FOUND IN YOU!!!!


UNTIL NEXT TIME...

If you would like to leave a comment please send an email to: sisters4sisters@att.net OR  scroll to the bottom of my blog page at  http://alittlewiser63.blogspot.com  click on the  no comments by the pencil and it will change to a writing space.




No comments:

Post a Comment