Monday, September 26, 2016

WHEN GOD INTERRUPTS YOUR PLANS!

"In his heart man plans his course
but the Lord determines his steps"
(Prov. 16:9)
"We interrupt this regularly scheduled program to bring you this important announcement!"

Sound familiar? And why does it always come right at the good part of the show?  I can see you now, talking to the T.V., moaning, groaning and complaining.  But one thing cannot be denied...the announcer got your attention! For a brief moment, your mind was focused on one thing...what's coming next! 

No doubt we feel the same way when God interrupts our neatly devised plans!  Whether it be a quiet hour or two with a favorite movie or T.V. series; a trip you've dreamed about and saved for; or dreaded news, like sickness or death...God has a right to interrupt our plans!! 

This is not a statement that I've found peace with easily but through spiritual wisdom and experience have learned to accept.  Even as I write this blog, interruptions have occurred.   Yet, I've treated each one  as a reminder from God that life is not always about me and what I want!  What I have on my schedule may not be on His agenda!  Every once in awhile, I need to stop and find out what God is trying to teach me!

Case in point.  Earlier this week, I saw an episode of The Steve Harvey Show, where NBA star, Magic  Johnson and his wife, Cookie was interviewed.  I figured it was one of those celebrity publicity gigs to promote a book or something... it was.  But, it intrigued me.  I knew Cookie was a professed Christian and I often wondered how her faith got her through Magic's HIV crisis and more recently, her son coming out gay!  Talking about Holy Interruptions!

Later while watching another show, there  was Cookie again, this time by herself, scheduled for one of those pseudo-spiritual talks with Oprah, on Super Soul Sunday.   Knowing how eclectic  Oprah's spirituality can get (still haven't figured out her true spiritual foundation), I was curious as to whether Sister Cookie would stay committed to her faith...she was!

Oprah, as you know is a skillful interviewer, digging deeper perhaps than most guests would like.  Yet, there was no way she could get around it. For all the Holy interruptions in her life: Magic's unfaithfulness; a HIV health scare that threatened her life and the life of her unborn child, her son's homosexual life style, she refused to give credit to anyone BUT God for getting her through.

Time and time again I heard her mention boldly without hesitation the core of our faith: Praise,  Prayer, God's Word, and God's Sovereign Grace! It made me think how much we could and should learn about those times when God interrupts our plans!

1.  First, acknowledge that He is our Awesome Creator - He can do what He wants, when He wants and however He wants (Rom. 9:21) Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

2.  Second, when we surrender our lives to Christ, our bodies are not our own (I Cor. 6:19) 
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in  you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own:

3. Third, in your planning always prepare your heart for God's intervention (James 4:14-15)
Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.

4.  Fourth, refuse to give up on your faith, even if things don't work out the way you want. He is still worthy of our praise. (Job 13:15) Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.

 5.  Lastly, by His grace you can make it with prayer and perseverance because it's all good! Romans 8:28) And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

UNTIL NEXT TIME....

If you would like to leave a comment please send an email to: sisters4sisters@att.net OR  scroll to the bottom of my blog page at  http://alittlewiser63.blogspot.com  click on the  no comments by the pencil and it will change to a writing space.





1 comment: