|John 8:35 (NIV)|
That's why after most interviews, media commentators do a "fact check!" to delineate true statements from lies.
Today, we hear a lot about this idea of Personal Truth. This is based on one's tangible experiences or even what a person believes to be true about themselves. This particular truth is hard to debate when it comes up in a conversation. Whether you accept it as true or not, you are not them. You don't feel what they feel. You don't live it. You can't know all the facets that brings them to their conclusions! Therefore no amount of logic or proof will make a difference until that person allows it to be considered.
There is Perceived Truth. This one is tricky! It can actually be a plain LIE! We are quite familiar with its tentacles however as it is manifested in stereotypical attitudes, racism, ageism, phobias and fears of every kind. Its validity comes from adhering to the rhetoric of supposed experts. When combined with personal truth, perceived truth becomes in the mind of the proponent irrefutable!
Then of course there is the deliberate and malicious manipulation of truth! Our advance technology and desire for cutting edge, in-depth knowledge provide fertile ground for seeds of deception, i.e., Fake News, DeepFakes, and Spoofing.
Robocalls are something we all agree is a pain in the butt. No matter how many Stop Calls websites or numbers you use, scammers still call your number! Imagine my surprise last week when in the flurry of rob calls, I saw my own name and telephone number on my Caller ID. It had been spoofed by a scammer! (I prayed I would not receive angry calls from people I knew, thinking it was me!)
There may be little I can do about robo calls, but I do have a strategy that keeps me safe from Biblical and cultural liars! I need only to remember a few basics principles concerning human nature or just refer to God's Word! These are simple but powerful reminders!
BIBLICAL TRUTH vs. SOCIAL NORMS
1) The Bible is the standard for ALL truth - it never changes! What was true about sin, human nature, and consequences then applies now! (2 Timothy 3:16; John 17:17)
2) Just because you're sincere about a thing doesn't mean it is right! (Proverbs. 14:12)
3) Your feelings, as strong and heart-felt as they may be is no indicator of who
you truly are! Feelings cannot be exalted over God's Word! They are gauges not guides! (Judges 21:25)
4) If you're saved, Holy Spirit conviction is more reliable than societal pressure or scientific data! Learn to listen to the Power within! (John 8:35; John 16:8; Hebrews 4:12)
BIBLICAL PRUDENCE vs. COMMON PRACTICES
1) If you don't recognize the face at your door...don't open it!
2) Never give out personal information on the telephone or on surveys to unverified solicitors!
3) If you don't recognize the telephone number on your home or cell phone don't answer it)
5) Don't be swayed by emotionalism - scammers have no qualms using children, perceived handicaps, or sob stories to lie to you and exploit your kindness.
YES, RECOGNIZING TRUTH AND ERROR IS GETTING INCREASINGLY HARD BUT PRAYER, GOD'S WORD, AND A BIT OF GOOD COMMON SENSE WILL GO A MIGHTLY LONG WAY IN HELPING US ALL!
UNTIL NEXT TIME...
If you would like to leave a comment please send an email to: email@example.com OR scroll to the bottom of my blog page at http://alittlewiser63.blogspot.com click on the no comments by the pencil and it will change to a writing space.