Monday, February 28, 2022

WE’RE ALL IN RECOVERY…From Something!!!


[Image provided by FreePik.com]
For all have sinned and fall short of the 
glory of God. (Rom. 3:23 KJV


 For most of my life, I've skirted around any dealings I might have with an addict.  Even if they happened to be in my own family!  I loved them dearly when they were sober but distanced myself when they overindulged.

This was partly because of their obnoxious behavior.  As I matured a bit, it was because of my disdain for them and my arrogance.  After all, how weak or dense must you be NOT to know when to stop using?!

It wasn't until I began to understand the physiological and spiritual complexities of addiction that I really gained empathy for a drunk or a druggie (derogatory terms I've tried never to use again.)

My education started when I attended a Christmas program at my church. It was called, Don’t Handicap Your Holidays With A Hangover! It was presented by the drug and alcohol ministry.  I went to support spiritual sisters who were recovering addicts or were married to one. (We have a ministry for the latter as well).  I had worshipped and served with these ladies in other ministries and we had grown quite close.

Over the years I’d heard their testimony regarding the challenges of maintaining sobriety but like many in my congregation, declined invitations to learn more.  Until, as they say in A.A. (Alchoholics Anonymous), I made a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself.  Had I become so righteous that I could serve alongside of my sisters, even teach them the Word of God and not learn more about what they were going through? 

Recovery's Language Translated

 It was only as I began to learn the meaning behind terms I'd heard but discarded  (I thought they didn't pertain to me), that I became enlightened!  I was no longer an outsider in these workshops! I was in CHURCH!  All this felt familiar! Below is a brief description of some A. A. terminology and how they correspond to our Biblical mandate for Christian living: 

  • Big Book (A.A.) 400 pages of principles and prayers adaptable for life altering changes. 
  • Bible - 66 books of principles, prayers, and illustrations for living a Christian life.

  • Denial (A.A.) - A refusal to admit the truth or reality of the condition.
  • Scripture: If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. (I John 1:8)
  • Detox (A.A.) -treatment for getting over the physical effects of substance abuse
  • Scripture: Repent, then and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. (Acts 3:19)
  • Fellowship (A.A.) - Being with others who care and hold you accountable while you go through recovery.
  • Church - A body of believers unified in love and spirit with shared values. who study, serve and practice with you the spiritual victorious life in Christ.
  • Program (A.A.) - The Big Book's system of recovery - The Twelve Steps of Recovery
  • Scripture: All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Timothy 3:16-17) 
  • Terminally Unique (A.A.) - An addict's idea that they're exempt from the authority and counsel of the program.
  • Scripture: No one is righteous no not one! (Rom. 3:10); Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. (Psalm 119:67).

Recovery's Steps Simplified

👣   ADMIT you are a sinner and powerless to keep yourself from sin on a permanent basis.  It is every Christian's desire to be free from the power of sin in their lives but living in this fallen world we need a consistent cleansing.

  [click here] To be Cleansed

👣  SEARCH your heart daily for areas of anger, bitterness, idolatry, or an unforgiving spirit. We often fool ourselves in thinking we're okay because we've learned to check our emotions and we do good things. But is this enough?

[click here]  For Spiritual Check ups

👣 ASK for help openly and humbly, confessing every wrong to Almighty God who is willing and able to forgive you and love you unconditionally.  

[click here]  Forgiveness of Every Sin

👣 PRAY daily for yourself and others! The journey is not over just because you dodged the Enemy's attack this time.  Prayer and meditation on scripture will keep your mind and strengthen your heart as you prepare the next battle!

[click here] To Dress For Battle


Recovery's Road Map to Victory
G.O.D.

In the world of Alcholics Anonymous the acronym G.O.D. means Good Orderly Direction. It is a concept used to help addicts embrace spirituality as a means to overcome substance abuse.  It is a spiritual friendly way to engage agnostics or atheists who are in recovery. Sometimes the phrase Higher Power or a power higher than yourself is used. In their search for relief, addicts may have sought all types of religious experiences. Somewhere perhaps they may have been offended by those who call themselves Christian, so I can understand the thought behind it.   

But in the world of the Christian, GOD is EVERYTHING!  God is sufficient to meet every need we could ever have. We don't have to look any further than the cross to know that He is the ultimate OVERCOMER of every sin and disease.  He is not just the GOD of our UNDERSTANDING, He is God whether we understand or not!  He doesn't just offer a solution for our sinful behavior, HE IS THE SOLUTION! 

My Christian friends in recovery always makes the distinction between G.O.D. and HOLY GOD!  They will sometime talk about the BIG BOOK, but will always tell you about God's Book!   What they have taught me is that I'm no better than they.  I, too am seeking a way to STAY CLEAN!  When I RELAPSE into sinful behavior, I go into RECOVERY--I fall on my knees PRAY and ask for FORGIVENESS and then I get up and try ALL OVER AGAIN!


HI, MY NAME IS CAROLYN AND I AM A SINNER IN RECOVERY!


UNTIL NEXT TIME

If you would like to leave a comment please send an email to: sisters4sisters@att.net OR  scroll to the bottom of my blog page at  http://alittlewiser63.blogspot.com  click on the no comments by the pencil and it will change to a writing space  


4 comments:

  1. HI, MY NAME IS Linda AND I AM A SINNER IN RECOVERY!
    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. We are all sinners in recovery! Praise God for healing through repentance and a chance to keep getting up each time we fall.
    Js

    ReplyDelete