Sunday, February 1, 2015

OH SUCH CHILDISH THINGS!

"When I was a child, I talked like a child,
I thought like a child..."(I Cor. 13:11) 
Can you believe it!  We're already in the second month of this brand new year.  A month rife with so many celebrations that it's hard to find another one to rival it.

Let's see, Ground Hog Day is tomorrow....I guess those of us looking out on the several feet of snow that just fell this weekend would like some good news about now!  Then of course President's Day, is a great time for bargain hunters looking for deals at the local mall.  Mardi Gras starts this month as does Black History month and the Chinese New Year.

But for most of us the Biggie is Valentine's Day! I can barely pick up my Sunday newspaper for all the ads!  Everybody's an expert on helping you make that love connection! I'm no Love Guru, but I know someone who is--the apostle, Paul!  He has the perfect Valentine gift to give to your loved ones this year, Put Away Childish Things! In other words, Act Like A Christian, Think Like A Christian!

 When you get a chance read the entire chapter of I Corinthians 13.  Paul has a very exhaustive list of behaviors that ensures a great love relationship.  Needless to say indulging in their opposites is a sure-fire way to ruin one! Let's take a look at the following:

  • IMPATIENCE-  "I want it, and I want it right now!" True Love is Patient and Kind
  • JEALOUSY - "She thinks she's all that, so let's break it!" True Love does not Envy
  • BOASTFUL-  "Mine is bigger and better than yours!" True Love is not Puffed up
  • RUDE- "Get out of my face!" True Love Respects Others
  • SELFISH- "This is mine, hands off!" True Love Shares All Things
  • HOT-TEMPERED - "Let's settle this right now!" True Love is not Easily Provoked
  • UNFORGIVING - "I'll never forget what you did!"  True Love Keeps No Records
  • VINDICTIVE - "You got just what you deserved!"  True Love Does not Rejoice in Evil
Paul goes on to explain that these are the behaviors of the immature!  In I Corinthians 13:11 He says, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a woman I put away childish things." 

This is the essence of True Love--not the flowers, the candy, negligees, and expensive dinners.  Without unconditional love, kindness and respect what do you have?

ONLY CHILDISH THINGS!
(Isn't it time to put the crayons back in the box!)


No comments:

Post a Comment