Sunday, February 14, 2016

What VALENTINE'S DAY Won't Fix...

Love never Fails... (I Cor. 13:8a)
By the time you read this, Valentine's Day will most likely be a fond but fading memory!  The roses may last a few more days, still fragrant, but petals already beginning to fade, especially if they're the cheap ones from the grocery store.

 The first few pieces of chocolates were wonderful, but then the guilt begins to set in....didn't I give up sweets for Lent?  The card was beautiful...expensive too, but pretty soon, it will find its way into the drawer or a box with all the other Birthday, Mother's Day and Anniversary keepsakes!

  There you have it, another Hallmark holiday hyped up for weeks, over and forgotten in just ONE day!  That's why my hubby and I decided years ago that we wouldn't wait until February 14th to celebrate our love.  We'll do that every day for the rest of our lives regardless what the calendar says!

You see, contrary to popular opinion, real  love takes a commitment that can outlast all the bad times that find their way into every marriage.  And let me tell you when they do come, they can be so devastating that Valentine's Day just won't fix it!!

Here are a few examples:

WHAT VALENTINE'S DAY WON'T FIX...

1. Lack of attention or affection the other 364 days of the year  - Married or single if your significant other hasn't invested time, energy, and creativity in keeping your  love tank full, before this day, one hit on February 14th ain't gonna do it!

2.  Hurtful words that can't be taken back - Whoever said that sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you, was a big fat liar!  Critical words, angry words, cruel jokes, and demeaning words, all carry blows to the heart that leaves scars for years and years. While two other words, I'm sorry and an expensive gift is a good start, spoken insincerely or as a way to get out of the dog house, means nothing!

3.  Chronic bad behavior - Don't tell me you love me, but don't try to change what you know is hurting our relationship!  I've heard it said, that a man WILL change, but there's only one woman he'll change for!  Some are wondering if we're that woman, because we're not seeing any changes.  Real love will bring a transformation, not a holiday pass until the next time, I mess up!

That's why my husband and I after almost a half- century together have agreed to look at Valentine's Day from another perspective.   What Valentine's Day won't fix...Christ's love will! 

CHRIST'S  LOVE WILL...

1. When I'm not being affirmed by my husband the way I want... I think of Christ's love for me!  There is absolutely nothing that compares to it and not even heaven and earth can separate me from it.  (Romans 8:37-39)  It is everlasting and satisfying beyond my imagination, (Jeremiah 31:3)

2. When harsh words cut deeply...I taste the bitter words that have come from my own lips, and remember, Ephes. 4:29-32, Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you. 

3. When the bad behavior seems to never cease... I fall to my knees in humility and pray for the patience and long suffering that was shown to me.  For God demonstrated His love for me, that while I was yet sinning, Christ died for me! (paraphrase of Romans. 5:8) 

Valentine's Day may be only a day on the calendar,  coming but once a year...but Love is all year around and never fails!


UNTIL NEXT TIME...

If you would like to leave a comment please send an email to: sisters4sisters@att.net OR  scroll to the bottom of my blog page at  http://alittlewiser63.blogspot.com  click on the  no comments by the pencil and it will change to a writing space.

No comments:

Post a Comment