Monday, April 13, 2020

WHAT HAPPENS THE MORNING AFTER?



I've had some interesting morning after experiences in my life. Most have not been my proudest moments!

Mornings after a blow-out with my husband or a relative.  Mornings when I ate too much of a favorite food and paid the price with digestive upsets.  And yes, mornings that kept me on my knees at the toilet bowl praying but with a throbbing head and blurry eyes!

(Come on people! We ain't always been saved or acted like it!)

What I'm saying is that most morning after experiences are filled with regrets, yet become times of reflection where we never felt so human!  Weak, vulnerable, and fearful we become keenly aware that WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL OF ANYTHING!!  Without a single seminary class we've acknowledged the transcendence of God in our lives.  He is distinctly different from His frail creation, and we humbly submit to Him for help!

I imagine that's the way the disciples felt the morning after Christ's resurrection! (Talk about a week-end!)  Roman guards were all over the place.  Friday's three hours of darkness midday and an earthquake causing dead men to walk out of graves put everyone on edge. (Matthew 27:51-53)  Not even Saturday was peaceful.  The disciples scattered and went into hiding for fear of their lives.  Could they be the next big event in Jerusalem? (Mark 14:48-50; 24:36-43)

The religious Pharisees, instigators of the crucifixion were busy doing damage control preserving their pious position among the Jews but concealing their devious actions. (Matthew 27:62-66).  The morning after Christ's resurrection they bribed soldiers to lie and say Christ's body was stolen. (Matthew 28:11-15)

The impact of Christ's death was far-reaching.  Other people were having morning after experiences too.  The women disciples He appeared to and anointed to be the first witnesses of His resurrection. (Mark 16:9-11; John 20:10-18; Matthew 28:8-10)

The two travelers on the Emmaus road (Luke 24:13-19).  Jesus' unbelieving brother, James and the restored Peter (I Corinthians 15:5-7).  All those who watched Him ascend into heaven (Luke 24:44-49)

Today, like 2,000 years ago, we are living out a significant morning after!  Yesterday, most of us celebrated Resurrection Sunday like none we had ever seen! We were separated from church and family members, some fearing for their own lives in hospitals and cities with rising death numbers from COVID-19.
Common Easter traditions were pretty much defunct. 

So if you are among those still pining over the way it used to be, take a moment to read what the angels said to the women at the tomb: 

"Why seek you the living among the dead?" (Luke 24:5)

I truly believe that we will one day be able to celebrate Resurrection Day similar to the way we used to! However, I hope it will become more than a Sunday on the calendar that comes in the Spring.  I pray you will see it as a day of new beginnings, new hope, a new life in Christ! (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Jesus is Alive and He is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8).  He has not changed!  It is because of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed! As bad as things are, it could be worse!  His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is His faithfulness. (Paraphrased from Lamentations 3:22-23) 

In your darkest hours.  When joy is smothered in grief and pain. When jobs are lost.  Pay checks stop coming and you don't qualify for a bail out or government subsidies! Will you be strong enough to make it through the night and brave enough to ask..


WHAT HAPPENS THE MORNING AFTER?

  TAKE COURAGE!  CLOSE YOUR EYES!  AND PRAY THIS SCRIPTURE: 

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go, for to you I
entrust my life.

(Psalm 143:8)


UNTIL NEXT TIME...

If you would like to leave a comment please send an email to: sisters4sisters@att.net OR  scroll to the bottom of my blog page at  http://alittlewiser63.blogspot.com  click on the no comments by the pencil and it will change to a writing space. 

1 comment: