Monday, March 14, 2016

THE MEASURE OF A GREAT WOMAN, Part Two - Her Conduct!

Endure hardship as a good
soldier of Jesus Christ (2 Tim. 2:3)
I've been blessed in this life to be in the midst of some great women!  None of whom you've ever heard of, mind you but great nevertheless because of both their character and their conduct!

These women poured into my life at various stages, and taught me what it means to be successful in the eyes of God. They impressed upon me with their lifestyles, the importance of leaving a legacy of greatness to my children, grandchildren, and the women I minister to on a daily basis.

Women, like my mother, poorly educated, and a survivor of domestic violence, who without government aide of any kind and without spousal support, (although my father was considered  in my home town middle class), was able to raise nine children to become honest, hard working, and successful contributors to this society!

No man ever spent the night under our roof who wasn't a blood relative or a tenant (she ran a rooming house). Our home was poorly constructed but clean and food readily available.  She never put her personal life or career ahead of our physical or emotional needs and the police never darkened our doorsteps unless they were inquiring about something going on down the street or in another house!

Great women of the  black church, like my god-mother, Greeley Martin who made me feel special and unique in my own skin; and Laura Follis, who with a quiet and gentle heart, nurtured my spiritual gift of teaching and found me capable, never hesitating to tell me so.  College professors and administrators still trying to break through bureaucratic mazes and Corporate America's glass ceiling took time to mentor me and others coming behind them. Without ever a thought or fear of future  job security and esteem being taken from them.  Yet, these women are not given the coveted Medal of Conduct, while no less warriors in their own right!

Perhaps, like myself you find this appalling!  In an age where personal skill, talent, expertise, or notoriety wipes out of public memory bad or immoral conduct.  It's no wonder our youth can find no decent role models to emulate!  Anything goes as  long as you can make money at it~even if you're only famous for being infamously bad!!

Great women, truly great women are WOMEN OF SUBSTANCE!  They have more going for them than false beauty, popularity, pseudo friends, or desires for seeking that which is trendy, fashionable, or chic!  THEY ARE:


  • Intelligent, but humble
  • Passionate but disciplined
  • Efficient but teachable
  • Strong but gentle
  • Affluent but giving
  • Trust worthy but wise
  • Determined but flexible
Endures much, Gives generously, Serves faithfully!
Women of Faith, Godly Character, and Exemplary Conduct!

~Beloved...Character Still Counts~

I Peter 3:3-4

Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 


UNTIL NEXT TIME...

If you would like to leave a comment please send an email to: sisters4sisters@att.net OR  scroll to the bottom of my blog page at  http://alittlewiser63.blogspot.com  click on the  no comments by the pencil and it will change to a writing space.

No comments:

Post a Comment