Sunday, April 27, 2014

TAKING A BIBLICAL SELFIE!!!

Selfies are dangerous to your health!  No lie!  I just heard that this crazy photo-taking trend may have profound repercussions.  Mental health experts say that selfies are creating psychological narcissism (compulsive behavior focusing on oneself, looks, activities, etc.).  Health care professionals are seeing an increase in the spread of head lice!  There is even a case of a teen addicted to selfies (up to ten times a day) attempting to commit suicide frustrated in getting the right pose! 

Well, how about taking a selfie that will benefit both yourself and others. It's a look in the mirror called the bible!  No cell phones needed.  It can be done anywhere instantly, and any pose will do!  And get this, people will see results immediately without you posting on Facebook or Instagram.  The writer James shows us how to start.  It reads:

23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do (James 1:23-25 NIV).

Few scriptures mention the word mirror, only eight that I could find, but the one in James gives the greatest insight for Christians.  Vanity is nothing new to this culture or any previous generation.  However, when selfies become more than occasional fun, it is rooted in what the bible calls idolatry.  That’s anything we replace or set our affection (devotion) on above the glory of God (Ex. 20:3; Coloss 3:2-5, Rom. 6:16; I Cor. 6:19-20). Our bodies are not for gloating over but to be used as tools of righteousness.  Seductive poses (exposing butts, breasts or private parts) fall way off the chart of God’s standard of holiness!

As a woman of a certain ageI’ve spent a lot of time looking into the mirror of the bible and asking God to rid me of some Harmful SelfiesSelfishness; Self pity; Self sufficiency and Self absorption with my looks, needs and desires!  Instead, I do routine Self examinations of my motives when serving God. I Self-check my lips before criticizing or speaking in judgment of another’s’ character and most of all when I get carried away with all the newest and coolest fads coming my way I take my Self to 2 Corinthians 13:5-6: “Examine yourself to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselvesDo you not realize that Christ is in youunless of course, you fail the test?” 

Sometimes as a Christian you need to stop and ask: Is this what I should be doing with my time and energy?  For what does it profit a woman if she gains a thousand instagram followers but loses touch with reality. (My translation of Ecclesiastes 1)  It's just plain pride!   In the end everything stretches out, sags, and falls down!!  So go ahead take a Selfie but NOT before you take a few biblical ones first!   

No comments:

Post a Comment